Fifteen Questions with Top 15 NFR Barrel Racer – Amberleigh Moore
She may have qualified in the fifteenth spot at her first NFR in 2016, but now that her and Paige have four qualifications under their belt and dozens of runs made in the Thomas & Mack arena, this pair has even more reason to be confident. Below she’s shared insights offered valuable advice for those of us who’d love to follow in her boots as an NFR barrel racing qualifier!
1. What horse(s) will you be riding at the 2019 WNFR?
CP Dark Moon “Paige,” a 2009 brown mare and Blue Duck Down “Ducky,” a 2010 bay gelding.
2. How would you describe your horse’s running and turning style?
Paige is hard-running and turning, she loves small patterns.
3. What has been your biggest challenge or learning opportunity this season?
Trying to find rodeo grounds you’ve never been to.
4. What inspires you to stay positive through all the ups and downs of rodeo life?
Knowing there’s always another rodeo and another run to make.
5. What products do you depend on most to keep your horses healthy and happy?
Back on Track products.
6. Do you have any specific goals for this year’s National Finals Rodeo?
To go and make ten memorable runs. My goal for the 2019 NFR is to reach the one million mark in career earnings.
7. What piece of tack or equipment is one you can’t live without?
My Double J saddles.
8. What qualities do you think are most critical to a horse’s success?
Building confidence and trust in their job.
9. Is there a preferred bloodline or style you look for in a horse?
I look for a horse with a big heart and a willing attitude.
10. If you could make a run on any of the other NFR qualifier’s horses, which would you choose and why? I would choose Tibbie (*who ran with Ivy Conrado at the 2016 NFR). She is gritty – just my style!
11. What do you think is the key to making the transition from a part-time amateur barrel racer to a full-time professional?
Having family support and the right horse.
12. If you could give one tip to a barrel racer with a goal to qualify for the National Finals Rodeo, what would it be?
Focus on one run at a time!
13. What is your favorite thing to do outside of barrel racing and horses?
Traveling to places I’ve never been… with a nice sand beach!
14. What has been a funny or memorable experience from your years of rodeoing?
Almost leaving my dog at a friend’s house when we were loading horses. My friend ran out to the road holding the dog, we were leaving for three weeks to Texas.
15. Are there any sponsors you’d like to thank?
Yes! Tight Joints Plus, OE Nutraceuticals, Earl’s Garage, Katie’s Coast to Coast, Silver Lining Herbs, Double J Saddlery, 5 Star Pads, CR Ranchwear, MR4activet, #Purina, Cowgirl Tuff Company, Professional Choice, House Top H Ranch, Axion Micro 5, Flexineb, Tree Top Ranches, Kyle Zanetti Trailers
Click here for the WNFR TV schedule at ProRodeo.com.
Click here to learn more about becoming a member of the Women’s Professional Rodeo Association, and also enjoy these additional resources:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!